Wednesday, June 21, 2006

An Evening to Forget...

The evening of the 20th of June, 2006 was one I would like to forget. The evening started off with a soon-to-be-married girl stating, "Thank God I am not marrying you" in response to a critical remark from me. The evening then went rapidly downhill from there! Over the years, I have heard statements like, "Your poor future wife! I already pity her", "I hope you get a wife who's everything you wouldn't want her to be", "I would like to talk to your would-be-wife before she marries you to warn her of the big mistake she is making", etc. in response to my incessant leg-pulling/criticism (usually justified) of various members of the fairer sex. I suppose a lot of the other women were also thinking "Thank God I am not marrying you" when they said what they said. But, this was the first time I have heard it stated explicitly and I thought it was a bit harsh espescially coming from someone I have been rather nice to by my standards!

Anyway, I was ready to explain it away as a lack of patience and I was visibly perked up by the awesome start that the Mavs made with a 26-12 lead with about 2 minutes remaining in the 1st quarter. Then, the Heat started playing catch-up and thus began what I think was the most profanity-laden 4 hours of my life. People who have known me for a while know that I am a person who swears or uses profanities only on the rare occasion or two. But, last night I was hailing expletives at virtually everyone who had anything to do with the game-Refs, Wade, Avery Johnson, Terry. I got so agitated and frustrated that I was close to throwing things at the T.V. a few times. Thankfully, I remembered everytime that the expensive T.V. did not belong to me!:) I think NBA should draw a virtual 3-D cylinder (like the yellow lines they use to indicate first-downs in NFL) with a radius of 2 feet with "princess" Wade as center everytime Wade touches the ball. It would be easier for the audience (and the concerned players) to discern a foul call. Only one simple rule to remember-If any part of the body of a member of the opposition happens to be in this "Wade cylinder" at any point in time (due to motion by Wade or the defender), the defender shall be called for a foul! I can recall, at the very least, 7 freethrows that Wade got to shoot on bogus calls. Even subscribing to the idea that superstars get the calls in this league, when I contrast that with the number of calls Nowitzki got for all the bumping, shoving and virtual man-handling the Heat defenders subjected him to throughout the series, I am stupefied. I wonder how the Mavs kept their cool and didn't resort to idiotic fouls and were largely well-behaved except at the end of Game 5. I guess that's why they get paid in millions while I'll be extremely lucky to land a job that pays 100K. Inspite of all that, Mavs should have still won the game if not for some of the worst coaching and poor shooting I have ever seen from the Mavs. I hold Avery Johnson squarely responsible for some senseless moves like:
  • Taking out Marquis Daniels in the 4th quarter when he looked like the only player other than Nowitzki who was playing decently.
  • Letting Terry shoot all those ill-advised 3s when none were going in.
  • Letting Howard go careening towards the basket manned by 2-3 defenders when there were open players standing around.
Oh, well! All said and done, Mavs lost the series and with it a golden chance to get theit first title. Marc Stein can now officially call this the most stunning collapse in NBA finals history. I guess they relaxed a little bit after that Spurs series thinking they had crossed the major hurdle on their path to glory. I don't know what to expect next year, what with the Western conference including a seething Spurs team and a Suns team with Amare Stoudemire and Kurt Thomas back in the line-up and pending free-agency of Jason Terry and Josh Howard. R.I.P. Mavs 2005-06 season - a season that turned out to be much better than anyone ever thought but still left a bitter taste in the mouth because of the manner of their exit. Here's my final score for the series
  • Heat 1, Mavs 2 (Games 1, 2 and 4)
  • Heat + Refs + Mavs 1, Mavs 0 (Game 3)
  • Heat + Refs 2, Mavs 0 (Games 5 and 6)
Mavs had no chance really! On the question of referees, I was offended by the inanities mouthed by the court-side commentators about poor calls. I also happened to catch the controversial U.S.A - Italy match on the same ABC network and I was struck by the contrast. The commentator at the football match would have said things like "This referee has no clue what's happening" and "I hope he never officiates another game" (the audio clips are used often enough in the ads) about a zillion times. Agreed the first red card was stupid, but the second one was just a consequence of Pope picking up two deserving yellow cards. On the other hand, in the NBA (and other American professional sports that I have followed for close to 5 years), we have respected people like Hubie Brown look at a call that is blatantly erroneous and make a comment that doesn't even acknowledge it happened leave alone criticize it - John Madden is the only exception I can recall. Why this double standards?

The icing on the cake as far as the evening was concerned - My PC simply stopped working after some burning smell that I didn't realize came from the PC until it was too late to do anything about. It looks like another AMD processor (2nd one) is toast. May be my anger was felt by the processor too! I am even more disappointed because I have been telling anyone who ever asked my opinion about buying a PC/laptop to buy one with an AMD processor and have also been constantly cheering AMD's small victories in its David-like fight against the Goliath-like Intel. I think I am just going to ask Raapi to get me a new one. I believe AMD owes me one!:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home